Careers & College
College & Career Links
Thinking about college but not sure about the application process or how financial aid works? Trying to decide your future career? Looking for a way to volunteer? Browse these links to get pointed in the right direction or to learn more about life after high school.
- AACC Community College Finder: Interactive directory of community colleges.
- ACT Assessment: Information about the test, including frequently asked questions, sample questions and strategies, and how to register for the ACT online.
- Career Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics: Discover and learn more about careers that align with what you like to do.
- Career One Stop: This site, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, has information about fitting your interests into a career, getting work experience, and finding career or education opportunities.
- College and University Rankings: A library at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has put together a thorough guide to different college rankings.
- College Board and ACT College Planning: The College Board and ACT have planning guides to help students apply for, choose, and get ready for college.
- College Navigator: Compare schools side-by-side, see a map of school locations, and discover more on this site from the National Center for Education Statistics.
- College Possible: College Possible has resources and tips on applying for and getting into college.
- College Zone: The Illinois Student Assistance Commission has information about what to do before college, during college, and after college.
- Engineer Girl: Find out more about what different engineers do to see if the engineering field is a good fit for you.
- FAFSA: Start a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) here.
- Fast Web: Free, searchable database of almost 200,000 sources of scholarships, fellowships, grants and loans.
- Federal Student Aid: How do you get student aid? What types of aid exist? This site answers those questions and more.
- FinAid: An overall financial aid information page, including scholarships, loans and military aid.
- Idealist: Find volunteer opportunities or job and internship postings for nonprofit careers at Idealist.
- Job Corps for Young Adults: The U.S. Department of Labor runs this site that has information about what Job Corps is all about.
- Learning Express Library: Whatever your goal, LearningExpress Library's resources will help you succeed. Each of their Learning Centers offers the practice tests, exercises, skill-building courses, eBooks, and information you need to achieve the results you want.
- My Future: Myfuture.com helps you plan your next steps in life by bringing together the most recently available information about colleges, careers and military service opportunities from the U.S. Departments of Commerce, Defense, Education and Labor.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook: This is a guide to career information about hundreds of occupations. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics gives you job descriptions, salaries, working conditions, education and job outlook for the next few years.
- Sallie Mae Widget (PPL database): Scroll down the PPL Database list to find the Sallie Mae widget, one of the largest databases of scholarships.
- StudyAbroad.com: The study abroad resource for programs in more than 100 countries throughout the world.
- SummerJobs.com: A job database for high school and college students (or anyone else) looking for interesting part-time work or internships during the summer. Company profiles and comments from past participants are available.
- Unigo: Unigo is the world's largest platform for college students to share reviews, photos, videos, documents, and more with students on their campus and across the country. High school students can find out what life is really like at America's colleges, and make friends to help them find the school that's right for them.
- Vocational Schools Database: Interested in vocational school? This site lists vocational schools by state and includes online programs.
- Volunteer Match: Use Volunteer Match to find a volunteer opportunity in your area that speaks to your interests.
- What's Next Illinois: Plan for high school, college, a career, and more at this Illinois Student Assistance Commission site.
- World Wide Learn: Find over 16700 online degree programs and courses from online colleges & universities. Search by subject/major, degree level, and location.