front & center
Front & Center Neighborhood Response Center
a service of Peoria Public Library Lincoln Branch
In January of 1997, the Peoria Public Library opened the Front & Center Neighborhood Response Center at the Peoria Public Library Lincoln Branch . Heralding a proactive, neighborhood-based direction for library service within Peoria, Front & Center strives to respond quickly and effectively to the specific needs of the area in which it is located. staff are dedicated to creating a resource which will meet the needs and priorities of neighborhood residents; and materials and equipment are being added to the branch to provide a broader range of services.
Whether seeking to sharpen computer skills, hoping to discuss concerns with police officers assigned to patrol the neighborhood, looking into buying a home, trying to repair a leaky faucet, or striving to raise a math grade, Front & Center can help people begin to achieve their goals. As a neighborhood resource, Front & Center requires the input of those who use the facility, so stop by today and let us know what you think. Features and opportunities available at the center:
Access to Computing Services:
Multimedia computers and wifi are now available for community access for the following uses:
- Word processing and printing
- Use of the library's adult and children's CD-ROM products
- Training seminars on the use of hardware and software
An Expanded Reference Collection:
The Lincoln Branch collection of reference materials includes the following target areas:
- Home maintenance and improvements
- Home buying guides
- Computer use
- Health references
- Children's science and reference
- Educational aids for children and adults
Tailored for middle-schoolers and junior high students, the homework tutorial aspect of the Front & Center program is coordinated by an education professional and staffed with volunteers from Bradley University, ICC and other local organizations. An entertaining element is added to each day's program which gives students the opportunity to strengthen study skills, receive guidance as they work to complete homework assignments given at school, and progress toward personal and academic goals.Details of the program are listed below.
- Available Monday-Friday (students are welcome to come everyday or on selected days of the week)
- Contractual agreements among parents, students and the response center coordinator are available to set expectations for attendance, achievement and behavior.